Flights of Fantasy

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Fairy Godmother – Mercedes Lackey

The Fairy Godmother - Mercedes LackeyCategory: Fantasy

Ella Klovis lives in the Five Hundred Kingdoms with her wicked Stepmother and two nasty stepsisters… see where I’m going with this one.

The Five Hundred Kingdoms are where fairy tales are played out day after day by the people who live there. Most people are just the chorus but a few are picked out by The Tradition to play the leading roles.

So what happens to you if you’re meant to be Cinderella but the prince of the kingdom is only 12 years old?

This is definitely a novel concept, and it plays out like a fairy tale itself. It is lovely to read and the characters are just what you would expect from this author, very well rounded and entertaining. However, in a comparison with her other works it somehow fails to measure up. I’m not saying it’s a bad book, far from it, I was just left feeling vaguely disappointed at the end, as if something was missing.

I may read it again, I may not. I’m certainly glad I read it once.

Rating: 6/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home