Flights of Fantasy

Friday, December 17, 2004

Magician’s Guild – Trudi Canavan

Magicians' Guild - Trudi CanavanCategory: Fantasy

Wow. I finished this in a day and she’s a new author so it’s not as if I was predisposed to like her work. I really found it hard to put this one down. I was still sat on the tram, on the way home, for two minutes before I realised we’d reached the terminal. I was that engrossed.

It’s not a new story, very little fantasy is. However she tells it very well. I found myself drawn into the world very quickly. She paints a very good picture in a very concise way. No Tokienesque scenic ramblings for this author, a few well-chosen phrases and you’re there with the characters.

This is a world in which class is everything. Magicians are a class apart, but only children from the wealthy are tested for the potential to become a magician. Every year a purge takes place, when all the ‘undesirables’ are swept from the city. This task is undertaken by some of the magicians. They erect a magical barrier to protect themselves and then use it to simply push everyone along, and out of the city.

This time something totally unexpected happens, one of the many missiles being hurled at the barrier breaks through and strikes down of the magicians, another of them catches sight of a young girl who looks amazed by what has just happened. The hunt is on.

This book follows the fate of that girl as she is hunted by the magician’s guild, as she slowly comes to realise what she is, what she is capable and what that means for her future and for those around her.

I would definitely recommend this book and will certainly be reading the rest of the trilogy just as soon as I can get my mitts on them

Rating: 8/10

The Black Magician Trilogy:
Magician’s Guild
The Novice
The High Lord

The Novice - Trudi CanavanThe High Lord - Trudi Canavan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home